Monday, July 17, 2006

Best book of 2006 ... so far!!



I thought that Ron Suskind's book was a terrific read, but the newest tell-all book on how we got to where we are and how we got to where all that started is absolutely devastating -- to the George W. Bush Administration and several other "Administrations" that preceded GWB's. The End of Iraq, by Peter W. Galbraith is both a page turner and a very easy to follow narrative of the tragedy that has become Iraq.

Several chapters brought tears to my eyes -- and I mean real tears. I am not a proponent of the death penalty, but after reading the description of Saddam's manner of dealing with both the Shiites and the Kurds -- as well as the Iranians (also Shiites) during the 1980s -- I just don't know ... And in many of the scenes described in the book, American soldiers were present and yes, cried as they watched and were helpless (or felt helpless since they were under orders) to save the lives of persons who were "told" by our own Government (under George H. W. Bush who had been one of my "more-or-less heroes" prior to reading this book) ... to overthrow Saddam, and oh yes, we'd be there to help if things got dicey.

They did and we weren't and yes, it got more than dicey as they were hanged by the cannons of their surviving tanks when they raised their main guns after tightening the nooses at the end of the ropes tied to those cannons. Some of our boys are still suffering from post traumatic stress disorders after having watched those very scenes of horror.

And yes, Peter Galbraith witnessed some serious horror himself during the twenty or so years he served the various administrations -- including the GWB years through which we are still sweating.

True, I believe (strictly a personal belief) that we will all be reconciled to the Father (God!) in some future time, but I wonder how I'll manage to converse with the likes of Adolf Hitler and Saddam Hussein.

But whatever, a MUST read!!

4 Comments:

At 4:17 PM, Blogger Meowkaat said...

Ok, you convinced me...Going to go get this book. I imagine I will react the same way you did to the same passages.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Dr. Joe said...

Meowkaat -

You won't be sorry.

With your blogger name, how many cats do you have?

I'll visit your site next.

MWN (Joe)

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters