Saturday, June 02, 2007

Migod ... I'm actually on Bill O'Reilly's side on this one and yes, I'm appalled!

While driving leisurely to Olympia this morning, I happened to switch over to Air America's equal-and-opposite, Fox News Talk (or something like that), on XM-168. I almost switched back to Air America's blather of the moment on XM-167 after I heard the familiar and (for me) unpleasant voice of Bill O'Reilly--bloviating away with his "no-spin" nonsense, I assumed.

But I held off touching the XM buttons for only a second and ... listened!

What I heard was an interview he had taped with a fourteen-year old girl describing a late-term abortion that she had undergone a year or so ago. It was both absolutely heart rendering and emotionally drenching to hear as I was speeding east on US 12.

The bottom line of both the interview and Mr. O'Reilly's entire hour (less commercials) was that the Governor of Kansas had vetoed a bill that was presented to her that would have required that abortionists (licensed doctors) in Kansas at the very least indicate the medical reasons for conducting all late-term abortions.

Current Kansas State law only allows a late-term abortion if it is necessary to save the life of the mother or if there is risk of permanent impairment of her bodily function. The information required by the bill before the Governor would have had no identifying information, although it was the Governor's concerns for the privacy of the "mothers" that caused her to veto the bill (from what
I am able to determine from her comments published on the Internet).

O'Reilly's attack this morning was apparently a "rerun" of a segment that I missed while I was at work on last Wednesday evening during which he took on Gov. Kathleen Sebelius over an abortionist named, George R. Tiller.

O’Reilly referred to Dr. Tiller as "Tiller the Baby Killer" more than once during the radio show that I heard. He also asked the quite reasonable question of Governor Sebelius (shown just above on the left), "How can you sleep at night?"

For myself, this was a defining moment in my own concerns about the barbaric nature of abortion as a method of "birth control" [sic] and/or elimination of embarrassment or whatever to the family/woman/girl involved. There are surely legitimate reason for taking human lives--including abortions in accordance with current Kansas State law.

But I can't believe that I am beginning to question my own previous support for the Roe versus Wade decision a million years back. Where in God's world are we heading with the barbaric practices of most abortion clinics nationwide?

I've used the word, "carnage" often enough to describe Bush's war in Iraq, but on this issue Mr. Bush is 100% correct, and abortion for any reasons outside of the qualification "if it is necessary to save the life of the mother or if there is risk of permanent impairment of her bodily function" ... is also carnage. On this matter, I stand foursquare with George W. Bush and (yes) Bill O'Reilly.


Did I just write that?


* * *


Ironically, the movie that a friend and I saw this afternoon was a "comedy" that addressed the issue of taking an unwanted pregnancy to the fulfillment of God's purpose. I might not have enjoyed some of the rather filthy "guy-talk" throughout the film--or the other sexual innuendos throughout, but the lessons, so to speak, embedded in the story line vis-a-vis the human life growing inside the heroine's womb wasn't lost on this old curmudgeon.

And despite the quotes I put on the word "comedy" above, Knocked Up was a very funny movie. Weird and a little unbelievable, but fuuunnny! And its finale was quite enjoyable.

Especially after listening to the O'Reilly Show this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters