Thursday, June 18, 2009

Since when can't a US Army General call a US Senator, "Ma'am"?


Barbara Boxer spoke the following to an American general during the Senate hearings: "Could you say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am? It's just a thing. I worked so hard to get that title. I'd appreciate it."


Last I heard, MA'AM, you are a civil servant--much like I was for twenty years ... not royalty! If Queen Elizabeth had said that to an American Brigadier General, Britain would instantly dump its royalty in embarrassment. But no, Queen Elizabeth has an IQ above 75 and isn't likely to forget her place in the scheme of things!

Even Jesus didn't jump on his disciples when they forgot or neglected to call Him with Kingly titles!! Actually, if you recall, Ms. Boxer, He wrapped a towel around His waist and washed His disciples feet ... to demonstrate vividly how He saw His role in their lives.

I might add that, in all of my years of teaching--including teaching in a State Penitentiary--I never asked a student--or a convicted felon--to correct himself (or herself) and call me "doctor," "professor," or even "sir"!

And BTW, women in the military are called "ma'am" just as officers are called "sir" and it's considered a term of courtesy or respect.

Learn your place, Ms. Boxer; you were elected to be a SERVANT of your constituency--not Their Highness. And that includes the unborn fetuses that you so casually allow to be killed in the name of convenience. I pray for your soul and try to love you as I am commanded to love all of my enemies.

3 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say I feel too sorry for the general. When I worked as a civilian with the military, they ALWAYS called me by my first name and almost always referred to themselves by rank. Totally rude, imo.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Dr. Joe said...

Like you, I was a civilian with the military and was often (most of the time) called "Joe" or "Mr/Dr Ryan." I always called officers "Sir," so fail to see the problem with Ma'am."

NEVER was I rebuked for accidentally---or deliberately--calling an officer "Sir" or even by his/her first name.

Even today, I would not rebuke a convicted felon if they called me "Joe."

Bad show on Boxer's part.

Joe

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger endcentralbs said...

PLease, please, please, don't you know Barbara Boxer knows 'Barbra' and 'Hillary' and also knew 'Bella' back in the day? Respect must be paid. As Michael Savage said of the Senator, "In my day the best this woman could have been was the owner of a brassiere store or two in Queens."
GEM. [Please refer to me by my proper name, not 'here, girl, or some such demeaning term.]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters