Sunday, March 29, 2009

This week ended with my getting my "pink slip" ... acually typed ... and on white bond paper!



But pink slips are like pink elephants and other seemingly "tragic" events in life ...


Pink elephants aside, I truly did receive written notification that my teaching contract would not be renewed on 1 July 2009. The reason given was that the overall contract between the State and my college would likely not be renewed due to the recession and a nine billion dollar budget shortfall. There was no "likely not" in the sentence that notified me that my contract would not be renewed--and it wasn't a general letter given to the many others who would be affected. I was told to go to the H.R. office in advance of a general all-faculty meeting so that the notification could be given to me privately and with (truly) gentle dignity.

Then ... at church this morning, we closed with the following song/prayer ...

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes
To climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown
Where Jesus is
And He's holding out His hand

But the waves are calling out my name
And they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed

The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. "Boy, you'll never win!"
"You'll never win!"

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
The voice of truth says, "Do not be afraid!"
The voice of truth says, "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me

I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth


Yeh, man …

How often before have I seemingly been tossed to the unknown (usually as a result of my own self-centered sinfulness or clumsy failures)? Yes, I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth!

Still, a prayer or two from the believers of you out there in the blogosphere ... would help this old curmudgeon to face the endless car payments, health costs and, oh yes, that crazy house mortgage--and a thousand other challenges that never seem to stop battering at my "boat" ... so to speak ...

6 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard and I would be happy to pray for you except we don't know any prayers.

Always stay sweet,

Sweetheart

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Dr. Joe said...

Sweetheart (and Richard)

To "pray," one need not "know" a prayer. Praying is simply talking (silently or aloud) with God. It's a beautiful two-way communications whose "circuit" is always open.

You should certainly "pray" as often for God's blessings upon both of you as is possible. The old saying goes, "All things are possible with God!"

In the name of Jesus

U.J.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger endcentralbs said...

U.J.
As you are aware (I am aware because of Madonna's Kabbala class) there is such a thing as karma. By all accounts you have been throwing out only kind karma for some time now. I am sure the Lord has both you and Richard in the palm of His hand.
Continue to always stay sweet,
Gem

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Dr. Joe said...

Gem

"Kind" karma? There are times when "kind" karma is little more than passive aggressive anger at activities or words that are not really "real," if you know what I mean.

That says little more than that I am human, I suppose--but your kind thoughts and prayers are welcome.

U.J.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Jeanne Ryan (Serenissima) said...

Sorry to hear that it's official. At least they've given you a lot of advanced warning... I know, small comfort. So, let's see, possible new money-making strategies for mediawingnuts:

1. On-line provocateur (i.e., do what you're doing now, but more frequently and with advertising.)

2. Ghost-buster/UFOlogist for hire

3. Creator of material for America's Funniest Home Videos

4. Clothing re-saler (I hear you've got plenty of inventory)

5. Catsitting

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger endcentralbs said...

U.J.
You are made of championship stock. This is just a bump in the road. I suggest joining Oprah's book of the month club as there are often stories of redemption there (except for the one druggie who made it all up)
Gem

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters