Monday, March 12, 2007

Iran = New Nuclear Power?

Hey, hey! We now know that 50,000 rials in Iran is worth $5.40 ... and carries on the note of that denomination a nuclear symbol. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is rubbing it in our faces, me thinks. The previous bank note of highest denomination in Iran was about 25,000 rials or about $2.50 or so. I guess the phrase "as phony as a $2 bill" has new meaning. I also wonder if the text next to Mohammad on the bill -- "Men from the land of Persia will attain scientific knowledge even if it is as far as the Pleiades" -- is really an original quote from Mohammad or something that has been reworded slightly. The map of Iran is certainly authentic as is the portrait of the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini (do you remember 1979?). Yeh, I'd say that this new bank note is a reminder that Iran isn't going to go away soon. But the $5.40 value of the highest denomination bill in Iran tells me something too ... I'd say there's a bit of inflation going on east of our guys and gals fighting in Iraq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters