Tuesday, February 27, 2007

From the blogger to the "bloggee" (and others) ... I apologize!




I had to be reminded of my most important "roots" yesterday, and the lesson was a rough one. I was jawing off between classes (in the teacher's lounge) about Mr. Bush and made a couple of really stupid remarks like, "He's a jerk!" or "President Bush has an IQ of [I can't recall the exact number I used, but it was low]!"

One of my teaching colleagues asked me whether I would like to be called a "jerk" behind my back. Of course, my answer was "no!"

But that lesson stayed with me through the evening and I tossed and turned almost all night while reflecting on the Golden Rule -- clearly the rule that covers such incidents and serious sin on my part.

I had to ask myself what exactly is at the heart of Christian love anyway? Well Jesus said, "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:35). Uh oh!

Indeed, John, inspired by the Holy Spirit, once wrote, "We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death" (1 John 3:14).

Further, a Pharisaic lawyer once asked our Lord, "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"

Jesus said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 22:36-40)

According to Matthew's Gospel, the very essence of the Law is to love God and to love others. And we see this term "the Law" used in other places throughout the Gospels. It's in this passage that we find the Biblical definition for love: "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 7:12)

Hmm ... "do unto others as you would have them do unto you!"

Wasn't that what my fellow educator was trying to get through my thick skull?

My apologies to both him and to all of you in the wide Blogoshere who have indured my barbs tossed at Mr. Bush and others who are largely responsible for the Iraq War. The war may or may not be ill-timed and unjustified, but my ugly insults against our President are 100% ill-timed ... at any time!

Yes, I can disagree with Mr. Bush's policies -- and suggest where he is wrong (in my opinion) -- indeed, I wish to be corrected by others (like I was yesterday!), but I really don't wish to have meaningless (but with ugly meaning, sadly enough) barbs sent my way ... especially behind my back in the manner that I tossed a few in the direction of Mr. Bush yesterday.

I will continue to comment on Mr. Bush's activities (good and bad), but will make an effort to be less insulting from this moment forward ... except maybe in the case of a silly joke or funny image/photo (that isn't wholly mean-spirited).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters