Saturday, July 21, 2007

Tammy Faye gave me courage this week ... and millions of others too!

The photo of Tammy Faye Messner (formerly Tammy Faye Bakker) on the left is about as far as I would allow myself to go in showing how she looked on Thursday evening when I watched her interview with Larry King at the foot of my Super 8 Motel bed. Yes, she was even thinner, if that is/was possible, but her demeanor was one of something like I've never seen before. Love her or hate her; consider her a true believing Christian or (as the gay-bashers out there see her) a "queer-loving" non-Christian; she is, in my view, a wonderful and loving example of what Jesus wants from all of us ... just herself!

I was simply amazed by her faith and strength as she spoke to me personally from inside that horrid-looking red dress that exposed her bony chest and emaciated face. It was often very hard for her to even get words to come out of her 65-pound body (up from 60, she said) and then ... to add humor and power that absolutely no one has shown me in recent years. When asked how she wants us to remember her, she joked, "for my eyelashes!"

She doesn't want to know how much time she has left on earth because she doesn't "want a death sentence." She spoke of missing cheeseburgers and yes, she looks forward to having one again, although admitted that she couldn't eat one now ... but in heaven ... all things are possible! She mentioned looking forward to seeing all of us in heaven some day ... and said she looked forward to seeing Billy Graham there and meeting Ruth Graham (who only died a couple of weeks ago) for the first time, from what I understood.

She was herself--make-up and all--and she was radiant. Thank you for the humility to allow your face and body to be seen by us at least one more time as the cancer eats away at your earthly body. I look forward to seeing YOU, Tammy Faye, as an angel in Heaven.

God accept her into your Kingdom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters