Thursday, March 15, 2007

Okay ... I admit ... I'm scared sh**less! (no pun intended) ... [Colonoscopies are inhuman invasions of privacy!]



Admittedly, I have been remiss in putting this off until now. At 72, I should be going in for my fifth colonoscopy tomorrow and not my ... (yup!) first!

A close friend of mine (Douglas Winter) passed away a few years back of colon cancer and wrote a powerful letter to myself and my (living) fraternity brothers about the importance of having regular colonoscopies. But ... yeh, I know ... it's not painful, shameful or really even of great discomfort ... but ...

Just look at the length of that crazy colonoscope!



Can you honestly tell me that having that 1/2" diameter tube run up, across and then down again through your entire gut (seemingly) isn't going to feel like being impaled on a burning torch in East Africa?

The actual colonoscopy that I will endure tomorrow is actually no more than a simple (ha!) procedure that allows the doctor to obtain a clear look at the inside of the colon or large intestine. This is done with a colonoscope, which is a flexible tube containing a high resolution camera and light source. During the test a polyp may be found. Polyps are abnormal growths of tissue, which vary in size and may become cancers if not removed. The removal of polyps during a colonoscopy is called polypectomy.

Next week I'll probably be posting my nervousness about my upcoming polypectomy.

In the meanwhile, it's back to the liquid "preparation" that I take every three or so hours and the inevitable discomfort this evening and through the night. No need for details, I suppose.

Where are you when I need you, brother Richard in Connecticut?

1 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Blogger Jeanne Ryan (Serenissima) said...

I have to admit that after I read your post, I found the bullfighting picture at the top laugh-out-loud funny. Good luck on the procedure. If it makes you feel any better Katie Couric went through it on national TV to encourage others to get the test.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters