Monday, February 05, 2007

Jennifer Hudson is my pick for Oscar night



Jennifer Hudson (shown above winning the Golden Globe, I have to assume) was simply brilliant! Her performance as Effie (sp?) in Dreamgirls was beyond even my (usually high) expectations. I can't wait to have the Dreamgirls soundtrack CD playing on the CD-player on my bed and will surely buy the DVD whenever it becomes available. It's a shame that musicals (and/or comedies, it seems) never (almost never, that is) win Oscars, but I enjoyed Dreamgirls far more than I enjoyed The Queen (great, but a bit too British) and Babel looks depressing, quite frankly, and I might not even see it.

All of the girls in Dreamgirls deserve a "joint" Oscar for best actress, but I will gladly settle for Jennifer Hudson winning the Supporting Actress Oscar.

Besides, it would be great to see Simon's ugly face (the "judge" from American Idol) when she walks up to win a much higher award than his stupid AI prizes. I've since seen the "turkey outfit" that the AI dip-shi##s had her wear before she was booted off as a non-winner. Why do Americans even watch American Idol anyway?

She's truly a "queen" and a singer right up there with Roberta Flack and Sarah Brightman, IMHO.

I would be remiss in not mentioning that Beyoncé Knowles was only a hair less fabulous than Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls. I've always liked her singing and, well, she is certainly a looker and as curvaceous a singer-and-actress as I've ever known in my short (NOT) life. But she apparently went on a liquid-only diet to slim down for her role as Motown singer Deena Jones in the movie, from all I've read, and doesn't like her smaller physique in the film.

But the bottom line is "See it!!!" You won't be disappointed and a lot of the real "History of Detroit" (my hometown) from the 1960s is included. African American singers and actors/actresses took a lot of abuse that is shown in the movie -- from physical to being cheated by white singers from even reaping the rewards from songs that were written by black artists. Yes, it is based on real people, but is certainly a fictional account (adapted from the Broadway musical) with the usual Hollywood glitter and drama in every scene.

Again ... SEE IT!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters