Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Frank Buckles Day in America ... Our Last American Survivor of the War to End All Wars -- WW I




Eleven-eleven is one of those National Holidays whose date (like 9-11) is fixed in our minds even more than the birthdays of our children and our grandchildren--especially as we grow older. My wife's birthday is on an easy-to-remember date, so I had/have no excuse for forgetting it as often as I do. My own on Guy Fawkes Day isn't so easily remembered.

But Armistice Day (or Veteran's Day) today has become Frank Buckles Day by default inasmuch as he has survived through today (at 108 now) to become the only American survivor of that first Armistice Day back in 1918. I should mention that he was also taken prisoner by the Japanese in World War II while working for an American shipping company in the Philippines. And his bio in Wikipedia suggests that he has been a busy man for all of those 108 years.

Quite a life!

Here's to many more 11-11s, Mr. Buckles!

6 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger endcentralbs said...

U.J.
It is one of the saddest days of my canine life. The nativist son Lou Dobbs abruptly quit CNN last night. I almost couldn't eat my food from John this morning but then I recovered and ate lots.
GEM

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger endcentralbs said...

U.J.
I always try to live my life by asking "WWLDD"; or what would Lou Dobbs do? What now?
GEM

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger endcentralbs said...

U.J.
I asked John to get me two books for Christmas, the "Rogue" book by Sarah and the Carrie Praejean book that just came out. I'll get to Dostoevsky later.
GEM

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger endcentralbs said...

U.J.
Irony of ironies: I spoke to Sweetie daily when she was 3,000 miles away, and now never speak when she is swimming in the Chesapeake Bay. Life is confoosing.
GEM

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Dr. Joe said...

Lou Dobbs? Oh yeh, he's that guy who wants to rid our country of unemployed Mexican-Americans and non-thoroughbred dogs ... yeh, I remember him! Thought that CNN had fired him years ago ...

U.J.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Dr. Joe said...

And as for CP ... wasn't she the SFJ (strippers for Jesus) who was also the CP who wasn't PC enough for DT? Id she writing a book that exposes Sarag Palin as a closet Democrat?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters