Monday, May 21, 2007

Why is the plight of a mother whale and her calf so distressing to me? ... and half of America, I think ...


Good glory, they've already got names ... Delta and Dawn. And I don't know about you all, but my heart goes our to those two lost souls (okay, I have my beliefs and you are entitled to yours) who are somewhere between 45 and 90 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean.

I don't know how saline the water might be that far inland from the Golden Gate on the Sacramento River, but I'd have to believe that these two gorgeous creatures (humpback whales) are scared near to death. Besides all else, both Delta and Dawn (only nicknames provided by the U.S. Coast Guard and the scientists who are trying to help) are wounded--most likely by the propeller of a ship or ships toward which they approached too closely.

Between them and safety are the sloughs (good) through which they are being steered and muddy deltas (bad) that could ground them for good.

Everything from tug boats and clanging oil drums will be used to keep them moving toward the ocean, but my heart is sinking today as they seem to be stalled a long way from "home." I heard that "whale songs" will be synthesized (how, I don't know) to help guide them back.

God, be with your babies as they swim (seemingly) aimlessly along a strange river in what must seem like nowhere to the mama whale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters