Wednesday, June 28, 2006

What can be done with $60 billion -- that's B, as in Bill or Buffett!



I continue to teach in my old age at a part-time hourly wage of ... well, my daughter, Rebecca, said to me yesterday, "But dad, housemaids in Washington, DC make more than that!"

But then, I see what others who have passed into (not "passed on") their retirement years are doing with their fortunes, I feel good inside and out. I can't even imagine what $1.5 billion might be like, but a donation of that much per year to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is surely something that will cure disease and educate so, so many young people who would otherwise remain uneducated and thus, underdeveloped and underprivileged, to an extent that boggles my mind.

From all of us, thank you William Buffett -- and you too, Bill and Melinda Gates, for seeing the light. My brother, Richard from Connecticut, suggested that I post something about your generosity and I am very happy to do so.

I also understand that you both (or should I say "all three of you") are opposed to the abolishment of "death tax" (a.k.a. "Estate Tax") and that too makes me feel good inside. Now, if only the Walmarts and a few others would set aside their greed and join that way of thinking, the GOP might not be so eager to do away with that very fair taxation on what certain families (and their employees) have earned in their lifetimes. The push to exempt large estates from a progressive tax is only fueled by the money that is shoveled into the Republican (and Democrat, I'm afraid) political campaigns and the wonderful golf trips and exotic vacations that our lawmakers enjoy..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters