Monday, March 29, 2010

Why? I have been pondering this one for years now ...




As most of you are aware, the ratio of consecutive numbers in the Fibonacci sequence approaches a number known as the golden ratio, or phi (=1.618033989...). The aesthetically appealing ratio is found in much human architecture and plant life. A Golden Spiral formed in a manner similar to the Fibonacci spiral can be found by tracing the seeds of a sunflower from the centre outwards.

My question is simply …

Why?

4 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Dr. Joe said...

Oh?

Thanks.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

So you too like the irrational number phi -- the golden ratio. Not even a month ago, I was reading about it again. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio) I sporadically find myself, for many years now, returning to this beautiful number; I'm not sure why. My two other favorites are e and pi -- not to mention my obsession with primes. My OCD has me always set the timer on the microwave to a prime number of seconds. We have some weird gene, I know.
Joe

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger mediawingnuts said...

Hoo Ling Chee said (above) that there's a link between facination with perfect numbers, primes, etc. and forgetting to hit the lightswitch on the way out of doorways.

Strange, huh?

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since Joe mentioned e and Pi I have to point out my favorite numerical relationship
e^(i*Pi)+1=0
If only we could fit PHI in there also :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters