Friday, March 12, 2010

Glenn Beck has done it again, but this time he's taking on Jesus Christ! I think I can predict the winner.





Many of you, like me, peek now and then at the funny antics of Glenn Beck on Fox Cable News. Often, he is likable and periodically he says or does something with his plastic face that even makes me laugh.

Then again, he periodically says something or does something that reminds me that I have more than once vowed never to allow his fat face on my screen again. Last week, Fox Cable News played an absolutely horrid broadcast of Beck’s which fell into the "boycott Beck" category during which he (Beck) said.

“I beg you look for the words social justice or economic justice on your church Web site," he said. "If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words. ... Am I advising people to leave their church? Yes! … “"If you have a priest that is pushing social justice, go find another parish," he said. "Go alert your bishop and tell them, 'Excuse me are you down with this whole social justice thing?' If it's my church, I'm alerting the church authorities: 'Excuse me what's this social justice thing?' And if they say, 'Yeah we're all in on this social justice thing,' I am in the wrong place."


Later, Beck held up a picture of a swastika and one of a hammer and sickle, declaring again that "social justice" has the same philosophy as the Nazis and communists and that the phrase is a code word for both. Just browsing about the web, I found several Encyclicals of the Catholic Church (for one group of "Christians") that not only used the words "Social Justice" but went into philosophies that would turn a guy like Beck on his round head.

What he is obviously suggesting is that Christians should leave churches that preach "social justice." And for certain, Mr. Beck clearly equated the desire for a just society with, of all things, Nazism and Communism. Yeesh!!

Well, to draw this to a close (and It took some looking), this is what I found on CNN’s site under LIVING (besides the photo at the top):

An evangelical leader is calling for a boycott of Glenn Beck's television show and challenging the Fox News personality to a public debate after Beck vilified churches that preach economic and social justice.

The Rev. Jim Wallis, president of Sojourners, a network of progressive Christians, says Beck perverted Jesus' message when he urged Christians last week to leave churches that preach social and economic justice.

Wallis says Beck compared those churches to Communists and Nazis.

Wallis says at least 20,000 people have already responded to his call to boycott Beck. He says Beck is confusing his personal philosophy with the Bible.

"He wants us to leave our churches, but we should leave him," Wallis says of Beck. "When your political philosophy is to consistently favor the rich over the poor, you don't want to hear about economic justice."

Wallis says he wants to go on Beck's show to challenge the contention that churches shouldn't preach economic and social justice.

Social and economic justice is at the heart of Jesus' message, Wallis says.
"He's afraid of being challenged on his silly caricatures," Wallis says. "Glenn Beck talks a lot when he doesn't have someone to dialogue with. Is he willing to talk with someone who he doesn't agree with?"


From reading AP, ABC and CNN accounts (and I'm sure there are many others), Beck did not answer numerous requests for an interview.

Let me close with this excerpt from Matthew 25 (NKJV) wherein Jesus says to his disciples (the numbers throughout are simply verse numbers:

31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’


I can’t improve on Jesus’ own words.

This caricature of Glenn Beck is actually more accurate than his bigoted and disgusting falsehoods!

7 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Glenn really upset you with those comments. I do agree Social and Economic Justice is something we shouls strive for. I think that message is often forgotten. It is good to help others.

Mr. P.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Dr. Joe said...

I know thee not, Mr. P., but that message is probably the most notable of the "ignored" teachings of JC.

m.

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what reason do you watch Glenn Beck so frequently? Do you agree with perhaps some of his other stances?

Mr. P.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Dr. Joe said...

Well, among other things, he periodically has Sarah Palin on and who wouldn't watch her for fifteen minutes? M.

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I see from several other of your postings you are quite the Palin fan!

Mr. P.

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Joe I am on your side, lets boycott his show. I think the world hear's enough garbage without Glen Beck throwing his 2 cents in. I have known Joe for a while now and I know Joe doesn't give his opinion unless it really upsets him and he knows what he is talking about and I respect Joe a lot. Jesus is the soul source of our exiting here on earth and I would rather be on his side than Glen Beck's, you betcha! From LMD of Ocean Shores

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I whole heartedly agree being on Jesus side is the right side to be on! Well said!

Mr. P.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vote for Democrats
Since four and a half nanoseconds ago
Hit Counter
folks have visited this blog!
NOT!
Free Hit Counters